I started this earlier, but didn't finish before the new year. Better late than never?
1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
Quit a job. Visited Tennessee. Did an out-of-state race (in Tennessee). Got my own cellphone plan (to share with Stephanie).
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
- Finish grad school
Yep! I mean, it was a sure thing when I made this resolution, since I finished in February, but still.
- Keep my condo tidy and make necessary improvements
Nope... I'm not sure when I'll accomplish this, since it hasn't happened...ever. I kept it tidy enough that I wasn't COMPLETELY embarrassed when the dog walker came, but other than that...nope. I also didn't get my carpet replaced, install ceiling fans, or remove my fireplace. I did, however, get a portable A/C unit from Kathryn when she moved! I set it up to work with Alexa, along with several lamps and other home electronics.
- Read 24 books
Nope, I read only 12... Though that was better than the three I finished in 2016!
- Work on my mental health
I went back to my counselor for a few months, but then we decided she wasn't the right fit, and I haven't started looking for someone new. That said, I feel like I'm mostly in an okay place. I take Prozac and have only had a couple panic attacks since starting it.
And yes, I'll do resolutions for 2018, too.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yep, Christina had baby Camryn in March and Adrian had baby Enzo in June. And Carmen and Martin adopted baby Alexander, born in November.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What places did you visit?
Florida (end of March/beginning of April and early June), Arizona (April) and Nashville (September).
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
Muscle mass. My fitness went down the drain toward the last four or five months of 2017, so I need to get back on track.
7. What days from 2018 will you always remember?
June 18 when I had my 10-year workiversary. September 27 when I started a new job.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Finally leaving my job, which had made me so unhappy for too long. (Also, initiating a happy hour with a few girls at work, which all of them came to!)
9. What was your biggest failure?
Procrastination, usually with getting things done at home. Things build up and then I want to do them less and less, so the problem just gets worse.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I got peroneal tendonitis AGAIN. Ugh. I didn't do physical therapy this time, and instead just mostly stayed off of my ankle and iced it a lot. It felt okay by the time we went to Nashville for their half marathon over Labor Day, but only enough to run the 5k.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new camera, a Nikon D7200, and a bunch of accessories, like lenses and filters.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
The ladies are all stepping up these days, especially between #MeToo and the Women's Match. (#TimesUp was 2018, so maybe we'll talk about that at the end of this year.)
13. Where did most of your money go?
Probably a lot of stuff I didn't really need, like a stand-up paddleboard. But, also my new camera and airplane tickets.
14. What did you get really excited about?
Starting a new job.
15. What song will always remind you of 2017?
Probably Sylvan Esso's "Just Dancing." That was easily my favorite of the year.
16. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Probably not sadder? Maybe happier, mainly because I'm not in my old job anymore.
b) thinner or fatter? For sure fatter. Ugh. I'm heavier than I've ever been, and by a lot.
c) richer or poorer? Richer. Partially because I still need to sign up for my company's 401k program, so not as much is getting taken out of my paycheck...
17. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Working out and running, especially the last third of the year.
18. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Drinking, maybe? I had a lot of social activities, especially the last few months of the year, and it got to where I was drinking every day of the week, except maybe one.
19. How did you spend Christmas?
The Seahawks played on Christmas Eve, so I watched at my parents' house. It started snowing during the game, and I kept going outside to take Snapchats. One of those times, we got a pick six, so then my parents kept making me stand out there whenever we were on defense... And we won, so I guess it worked?
After the game, we went to my grandma and grandpa's house, as usual. It was still snowing, and there were several accidents that we had to drive around on the way. Literally everyone was at the house this year, except Makayla, so it was packed: 31 adults and seven kids. It was still snowing when we left, and we got rear-ended on the way back home (which is really only a 7-minute drive). Luckily it wasn't too bad, though.
Christmas Day was super lazy, and I didn't get out of my pajamas. We opened presents while drinking mimosas, had breakfast, watched Christmas movies, played Illimat, ate dinner, drank wine... Pretty solid!
20. What was your favorite TV program?
I really liked The Handmaid's Tale, and how they updated it from the book to be more appropriate for today. Elisabeth Moss was excellent, and this was the first time watching Alexis Bledel, despite being a huge Gilmore Girls fan, where I said, "Wow, Rory can act!"
21. What was the best book you read?
Probably Commonwealth by Ann Patchett, but I also really liked The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead.
22. What music did you get excited about?
Sylvan Esso's new album, What Now. I also was excited about St. Vincent's new one, MASSEDUCATION, but it didn't get quite as much play time for me.
23. What did you want and get?
A new job!
24. What did you want and not get?
Stealing this answer from Kate: Trump's impeachment.
25. What was your favorite film of this year?
I'm not much of a movie person, so I didn't see too many of them. I can't even remember what I saw. La La Land... Star Wars... I feel like I'm missing something big.
26. What was your favorite podcast this year? [New question!]
Was there a day after April where I DIDN'T listen to My Favorite Murder? They were few and far between. I have listened to almost every actual episode (so, excluding minisodes) three or four times at this point. A lot of the time, I'll turn it on just to have some noise at home. Georgia is the call-back queen. I wish I was friends with Karen. My sister and I now say "I'M sorry..." on a regular basis. I bring it up all the time, including at work when it may or may not be appropriate to discuss murder. I hope they come back for another Seattle live show soon, since I just barely missed it...
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
32. I decided not to have a friend party this year, so I just got pizza and dessert with my family at Resonate in Renton. Earlier in the day, I ran (literally) to and from the Fremont Solstice Parade, and met up with Raj, Amy, Carmen and Martin there. Nothing too exciting.
28. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
Same as usual. Jeans. Sweaters. Tennis shoes or boots.
29. What kept you sane?
Having (mostly) weekly meetups with Drew and Sarah, usually for trivia, but sometimes writing, dinner or bingo.
30. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
31. What political issue stirred you the most?
What didn't? Honestly, though, I really hope something comes of all this Mueller craziness. Come on, impeachment!
32. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmm, probably my new coworkers, especially the ones I've been hanging out with outside of work.
33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017.
Less that I learned it, and more that I'm trying to: People usually aren't thinking about you or over-analyzing your actions. Trying to read into why they do--or don't do--something is usually more hurtful to yourself than it is beneficial.
34. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
[Redacted, but I know the answer]